Table and Formulas
|Below Normal||Normal & Above||Below Non-Ex|
From survival to being very successful.
Person is free
Danger zone. Get busy or else...
The person is warned that he needs to improve.
Intervention is called for. The person has to get out of this non-survival band to receive auditing or succeed in life.
There are two situations possible when we talk Conditions and application of their Formulas. Starting out, you go from Non-Existence through a Danger Condition and Emergency to Normal Operation. The other situation is that a slip in your operation or performance has to be repaired. This is not an uncommon occurrence; you have to catch up by applying a lower Condition to get back to Normal and above. The Formulas are the same whether you are on your way up or handling a setback. The application needs not to be. In case of a setback the Condition Formulas are used to repair the situation and get back to Normal and above.
The Conditions below Non-Existence address direct Ethics situations where the survival of the activity or your personal survival or position is at stake due to neglect of duty, poor performance or outright destructive or criminal behavior.
Non-Existence refers to how you are perceived by others when being new to the game. You may have an impressive title and a good salary, but if you do nothing it will be a short experience. You have to work your way into the group and gain acceptance on a one-on-one basis to succeed. You have to listen, observe and learn and get up to speed quickly.
NEW POST FORMULA
When starting a new job or joining a new group the person is in a Condition of Non-Existence. The person may have been promoted or demoted within a group or have joined a new group or company. He has to get familiar with everything, including his co-workers or fellow group members and they have to get familiar with him. The Non-Existence formula is the same as when the person comes from lower Conditions. The practical application does not have to be. Each application of a Formula has to be worked out intelligently to fit the situation, be effectively executed and thus lead to the next higher Condition.
The Non-Existence Formula is:
0. Establish a safe point
1. Find a communication line
2. Make yourself known
3. Discover what is needed or wanted
4. Do, produce and/or present it.
One lesson to learn is not to come in
as a "new broom" and upset everything. One has to build up
relationships and get familiar with the situation before
anything effective can be done anyway. One has to get a feel for the existing
agreements and power structure. There is such a thing as a 'corporate culture' in
groups and companies. This culture is made up by the existing habits,
customs and routines of that particular group. How do you dress? How do you speak? Who do you
ask? Who calls the shots? etc., etc.
When the person has learned the ropes and the people involved he can be of help and is ready to move on up the conditions.
Note on Safe Point: The 'Safe Point' is added here. R. Hubbard described it in a Policy Letter called 'The Safe Point' (HCOPl 1/1/1982, PR Series 19R): "You cannot operate without a base to operate from...A new group or company [or position] should be established first as a safe point and then as an operating point. There is a Condition here just a hair lower than Non-Existence: Find a safe point from which to put out a comm line."
In some situations, such as when establishing a new activity, it can be a big deal. It may take a whole program of its own. When starting in a new job it may be as simple as to be assigned a title and a desk to work from.
NON-EXISTENCE FORMULA EXPANDED
It can happen that even experienced executives and staff members have not in fact ever come out of Non-Existence.
The point Ąfind a communication lineď is shortened down by some to locating somebodyís internal mailbox and simply just drop a note Ąwhat do you need and want from me?ď This is not really finding a communication line.
To handle any post or job you have to have information and deliver information. Where this is not done, the person finds himself doing work that get rejected, work that has to be redone, have restraints put on his actions and finds himself sinking down the Conditions.
It is the duty of any worker, new on post or not, to round up the communication lines that are relevant to his job, find out who need vital information and services from him and get those lines working and keep them working. This is part of "learning the ropes" in holding any position.
When a person fails to do that, he never comes out of Non-Existence. He isnít even up to Danger because nobody knows they are even by-passing him. In other words, when a worker (or private person) does not do that, in the eyes of the environment, company or group, he is simply a zero.
Therefore the Expanded Non-Existence Formula is:
1. Find and get yourself on every communication line needed in order to obtain and give information and services related to you post and duties.
2. Introduce yourself and make yourself known, not only your title and duties, to every person and terminal you will need in order to carry out your duties successfully and to persons you expect to exchange information and services with.
3. Discover from your superiors and fellow group members, and any customers or public, what your duties will require you to deal with. Find out what is needed and wanted from each party.
4. Do, produce and present what each party needs and wants that is within their professional or legitimate needs and demands.
5. Maintain and strengthen these communication lines to get additional information and services you now find you need on a regular basis.
6. Maintain your outgoing communications to inform an increasing number of others what exactly you are doing; but still focus on those with whom you work directly and are exchanging information and services with.
7. Refine and improve your performance, products and presentation to deliver something that is closer to what is really needed and wanted.
8. With full knowledge of and information about your products, do, produce and present a fully professional product or service of your post as a matter of routine.
You will find that this is not
a one-time thing but actually an ongoing process even when you are in a higher
Communication and good contacts and connections are indeed important to succeeding in any endeavor in life and should be nourished and worked on in a wider and wider sphere.
Danger is in the dictionary
described as exposed to risk or damage. Situation threatening with injury,
damage or death.
Obviously it is not a safe situation to be in and something has to be done fast.
On your way up from an initial Non-Existence there is a phase where superiors and co-workers still find it necessary to step in and do some of your duties and functions. Realize that this is a Danger Condition. Until such time where you can carry your load without interference you are not fully a team member. You are still on probation; your position isn't safe at all. Your superiors have to baby-sit you and keep a close eye on your performance. This is covered in number 3 of the points just below.
When the situation is handling a setback a Danger Condition is normally assigned when:
1. An emergency condition has continued too long.
2. A statistic, or the state of affairs, suddenly go downward very steeply.
3. A senior or executive suddenly finds himself forced to step in and directly run an activity because it is in trouble.
The formula for the senior declaring a Danger Condition:
1. Bypass. Ignore the junior normally in charge of the activity and handle it personally.
2. Handle the situation and any danger in it.
3. Assign the area that had to be handled a Danger Condition.
4. Handle the personnel by Ethics Investigation and disciplinary actions.
5. Reorganize the activity so that the situation does not happen again.
6. Recommend clear rules and policies that in the future will detect such a condition or prevent it from developing again.
This outlines the senior's or executive's actions. One can, with a good understanding of the actions involved, apply it to personal life situations as well. One should understand the Junior Danger Formula and the First Dynamic Danger Formula as well and use the one that fits the situation the best.
Junior Danger Formula
Where a danger condition is
assigned to any junior, demand that he or they write up their overts and withholds
(this is an O/W write-up). Also demand that he reports any known Ethics situation and turn
all this in before a certain stated time.
Anything not reported that would be found out later will be punished much more severely, such as double penalty.
Note: Any such disciplinary steps only applies when the Danger Condition is due to a setback: coming from a higher Condition and slipping down. When part of a new on post situation one simply does the numbered steps; there are no harsh discipline or O/W write-up.
After the O/W write-up is
complete, have the person or persons assigned the Danger Condition apply the
First Dynamic Danger Formula.
We are here talking about the junior and the staff that had to be bypassed and whose work had to be done for them or corrected. Each of them have to carry out and write up the First Dynamic Danger Formula for himself personally and turn it in.
First Dynamic Danger Formula
1. Bypass habits or normal routines.
2. Handle the situation and any danger in it.
3. Assign self a Danger Condition.
4. Get your own personal ethics in by finding what you are doing that is out-ethics and use self-discipline to correct it and get honest and straight.
5. Reorganize your life so that the dangerous situation will not keep happening to you.
6. Adopt clear rules and policies that in the future will detect such a condition or prevent it from developing again.
Emergency is in the dictionary
defined as: a situation or occurrence of a serious nature, developing suddenly
and unexpectedly, and demanding immediate action. In daily language it is used
to mean an accident or natural disaster.
Our use here may be a little less drastic, but "the immediate action" part applies very well.
Third Dynamic Emergency Formula
1. Promote! That applies to a company or group.
To the individual group members you better say produce - get busy, get serious and focused about what you are supposed to be doing.
In a group or company promotion is the first action, regardless of anything else, you have to undertake. Exactly what is promotion? It is making things known; it is getting things out; it is getting oneself known, getting oneís products out.
Note: Doing a variety of promotional actions will get all on the same page and doing what they are supposed to be doing: to produce and exchange products and services within the group and with the outside world. This can include pep talks, meetings and contests.
Good promotion, in form of advertising, strengthens the focus and productivity of a group. It sets a standard to live up to; it strengthens the morale and discipline internally. "We better get busy so we can deliver what we promised in the advertising."
If you violate the formula and don't promote in order to save money you may save money but the company or group would get smaller and eventually fall apart and go into Non-Existence for good.
2. Change your operating basis. If you went into a Condition of Emergency and then you didnít change anything after you had promoted, if you didnít make any changes in your operation, you will just be headed for another Condition of Emergency or slip into a Condition of Danger.
So looking the operation over and determine what omissions caused the slip has to be part of it. You better do something to change your operating basis, because that operating basis got you into an Emergency, so make sure to find out what caused the slip and change it.
3. Economize. Get very careful not to waste resources on anything that doesn't add up to creating a demand for your products and then producing the goods to fill that demand. You have to get 'lean and mean' to survive and thrive in a Condition of Emergency.
4. Then prepare to deliver. Now you have to make good on your advertising, self-promotion and promises. It may seem the wrong way around. But in a state of Emergency you have to pull yourself up by the boot straps or nothing will change. So you promote first, get your act together, and then prepare to deliver.
5. Part of the Condition of Emergency is to stiffen discipline; you have got to shape things up and demand action and compliance - or else! In a group or company, when a state of Emergency is assigned, and the activity doesnít seem to improve, regardless of what the causes are, you are in deep trouble. The situation was labeled a state of Emergency, staff or group members were told to follow the Formula; they were told to get busy and get affairs straightened out. Now, despite of that they are still found to be goofing around, making mistakes and not taking the situation seriously. The statistics, such as sales and productivity are going down and continues to go down, what do you do? There is only one thing left to do and that is discipline, because life itself is going to discipline the individual or group severely if nothing is done.
So the rules of the game demand, if a state of emergency is being ignored and the steps are not done successfully, that you have to announce that if the Condition just continues, and if continued beyond a specified time, it becomes a severe disciplinary matter.
First Dynamic Emergency Formula
1. The first action to undertake as an individual is to produce - get busy, get serious and focused about what you are supposed to be doing. This applies whether you are part of a group that is in an Emergency or it is your personal affairs you are taking care of.
The 'promote' part should however also be applied on a personal level. Personal hygiene, how you dress, having one's personal gear cleaned up and straightened out work as promotion. Making lots of contacts, phone calls, getting letters out or answered, etc., all add up to promotion. It tells the environment that you mean business, are ready to stand up for yourself and should be reckoned with.
There is also this side to promotion: getting focused on what you should be doing in order to expand and go up the Conditions rather than slip and slide downwards. This is roughly what good advertising does for a company. You should polish off your goals and renew your resolve in achieving them. You have to pull yourself up by the boot straps - and setting or renewing your goals is an effective way to do it.
2. Change your operating basis. If you went into a Condition of Emergency and then you didnít change anything after you have produced and promoted per above, you are headed for another Condition of Emergency; you are prone to slip into a Condition of Danger.
So look over your area and daily operation and determine what omissions or activities caused the slip. Should you go to bed earlier, drop a distracting activity or hobby, kick a bad habit? Should you use time on study as you used to do? Should you contact knowledgeable individuals and listen to their advice? You better do something to change your daily life and routines and your way of operating, because the way you were operating got you into an Emergency. You have to find out what caused the slip and change it.
3. Economize. Get very careful not to waste resources on anything that doesn't add up to getting things back on track. By resources we mean time, energy and money. Consider cutting out entertainment and leisure activities until you are through the Emergency. Spend your time, energy and money in the direction of the goal you are pursuing and towards getting things done and accepted. You have to get 'lean and mean' to survive and thrive in a Condition of Emergency.
4. Now you have to make good on your resolutions and goals, self-promotion and promises. You should initially set your goals a little higher than you think is possible to achieve within the time available. Now you have to deliver. It may seem the wrong way around. But in a state of Emergency you have to pull yourself up by the boot straps or nothing will change. So you promote, set goals, give promises first, then you fully realize what you have to do to get your act together, and then you work on delivering that. You meet the challenges and demands you have created.
5. You need to apply strict self-discipline or possibly ask a parent or spouse, a co-worker or boss to make sure you work disciplined. You can use a system of small rewards or denials of rewards to make it into a game. You can exercise in the morning to get more disciplined or stick to a rigid schedule. You can set short-range targets to be met within a certain time. If you do it in a way so it becomes a game you will get the hang of it very fast and have a better chance of succeeding.
Normal means things are happening or occurring in a functional and natural way. Nothing is out of the ordinary requiring special attention.
1. The way you maintain growth and improvement, when things are going well, is not to change anything.
2. Discipline and Ethics actions are very mild, there are no need for savage actions on the part of the leadership.
3. When a statistic betters, such as sales, productivity, and other measurable things, adding up to a better state of affairs - you look it over carefully and find out what caused this improvement and then do more of that - without abandoning what you were doing before.
4. Every time a statistic, or state of operation and affairs, worsens slightly, quickly find out why and remedy it.
And you just work with those two factors, the state of affairs bettering and the state of affairs worsening. Examine the operation when a statistic is worsening and you will routinely find that some change was made in that area where a statistic worsened. You have to get that change reversed back in a hurry to what worked for you just before the drop.
Affluence means a plentiful supply of materials and goods; wealth and abundance. The Latin root of the word means 'flow towards'.
1. Economize. The first thing you must do in Affluence is economize, and then make very, very sure that you donít buy anything that has any future commitment to it. Donít buy anything with any future commitments, donít hire anybody with any future commitments - nothing. That is all part of that economy. Don't go out and spend it all; think ahead.
2. Pay every bill. Get every bill that you can possibly scrape up from any place, every penny you owe anywhere under the sun, moon and stars, and pay them.
3. Then invest the remainder in equipment and help, that makes it easier and more possible to deliver.
4. Discover what caused the Condition of Affluence and strengthen it.
The Action Affluence Formula is an application of the Affluence Formula. It is formulated so it is easier to apply to personal matters or a non-commercial activity:
1. Economize on needless or dispersed actions that did not contribute to the present condition. Economize financially by knocking off all waste.
2. Make every action count and don't engage in any useless actions. Every new action has to contribute and be of the same kind that helped bring about the Condition.
3. Consolidate all gains. Any place we have gotten a gain, we keep it; don't let things relax or go downhill or roller-coaster. Any advantage or gain we have, we hold onto, we maintain it.
4. Discover for yourself what caused the Condition of Affluence in your immediate area and strengthen it.
The dictionary has many definitions for Power. Here are some relevant ones: 1. The ability to act or perform effectively. 2. A person, group or nation having great influence and control over others. 3. Forcefulness, effectiveness. 4. In physics it means the force that gets work and material change done, such as electrical power and horse power. The root of the word is old French 'poier' meaning, to be able to.
First Dynamic Power Formula
1. The first law in a Condition of Power is not to disconnect. You have to honor and stay connected with what got you there. Don't just deny your connections because you now are flying high. You have to take ownership and responsibility for your connections as they are an indispensable part of your success.
2. The next thing you have to do is to sum up, map out and record all these lines and actions. Unless you do that you will never be able to move on successfully; you will never be able to disconnect or retire. So in a Condition of Power the first thing you have to do is write up your whole hat with all the elements that has made it so successful. By doing that you have made it possible for the next person in that position to assume the state of Power Change, for him to continue your work successfully with minimal additional babysitting.
If you donít write up your whole hat you are going to be stuck with a piece of that post into the future; a year or so later somebody will still come to you ask about details or advice about the post.
3. Your responsibility is: write up all the successful actions, important alliances, suppliers and connections in a way that can be understood and get it into the hands of the next guy who is now going to take care of the functions.
4. Do all you can to make it possible for the next guy to handle that post successfully.
THIRD DYNAMIC POWER FORMULA
The Third Dynamic Power Formula outlines how to help one's group to reach and maintain a position of power whether just a member or supporter or as the top leader in the hot-seat and spotlight.
1. Life is lived by lots of people - not just the people in the spotlight. If you lead a group or activity you must either allow your people get on with it or lead them in an active way.
2. When the game or the show is over, there must be a new game or a new show. And if there isnít, somebody else is going to start one and if you wonít let anyone do it the game will become Ągetting youď.
3. If you have power use it or delegate it or you sure wonít have it for long.
4. When you have people under you use them or they will soon become very unhappy and you wonít have them for long.
5. When you leave or retire from a position of power, pay all your obligations to the penny, empower all your friends completely and retire with your pockets full of artillery, potential blackmail on every former rival, unlimited funds in your private account and the addresses of experienced 'assassins' and move to a place far away. Abandoning power utterly can be dangerous indeed.
6. When youíre close to the top get some power delegated to you, enough to do your job and protect yourself and your interests, for you can be shot at or be made into a scapegoat as the position near power can have its advantages but is dangerous as well. It is open to the attacks of any enemy of the power who dare not really attack the power but can attack you. So to survive at all in the shadow of a power or as an assistant you must gather and use enough power yourself to hold your own position. You will routinely have to deal with and fend off enemies of the power. You have to watch his back and you don't necessarily tell the power what you had to do. You may have to take it upon yourself to keep the power free of blame and able to function.
7. Since we can't all live in the spotlight of holding the top position, remember this: always push power in the direction of anyone on whose power you depend. It may be more money for the power, or more ease, or defending the power to critics, or even be more heavy handed in defending the power from enemies.
If you work like that and the power you are near or depend on is a power that has at least some idea about how to be one, and if you make others work like that, then the power-factor expands and expands and your influence too will expand further than you could have done on your own. Real powers are developed by tight conspiracies of this kind pushing someone up in whose leadership they have faith. And if they are right and also manage their man and keep him from collapsing through overwork, bad temper or bad data, a real powerful machine or organization is built up. Donít ever feel weaker because you work for somebody stronger. The only failure lies in pulling down or put to bad use the strength on which you depend. All failures to remain a powerís power are failures to contribute to the strength and longevity of the work, health and power of that power.
There are only two circumstances which require replacement, the very successful one or the very unsuccessful one.
What a joy it is to inherit a successful position, there is nothing to it. You just put on the successful hat and donít have to do much. If the position was in Normal or above, which is the usual thing, or the predecessor wouldn't have been promoted, you just donít change anything.
So, if anybody wants something signed that your predecessor didnít sign, donít sign it. Keep your eyes open, learn the ropes. For a certain period of time you just observe how things are running and gradually you start to apply the Condition of Normal Operation to your post. When things worsen a bit you find why and repair it. When they improve you find why and strengthen it.
Your basic routine is the exact same that your predecessor went through, sign nothing that he wouldnít sign, donít change a single order, look through the papers that had been issued at that period of time - these are the orders that you are operating on - and get behind just enforcing those orders and your operation will increase and increase.
If you take over a position from a guy that was unsuccessful you better apply the Emergency Formula to the post. The first step here is to promote.
FORMULAS FOR CONDITIONS BELOW NON-EXISTENCE
Liability is in the dictionary defined as: An obligation or debt. 2. A hindrance, handicap or risk.
CONDITION OF LIABILITY
Below Non-Existence there is the Condition of Liability. The person has ceased to be simply non-existent as a team member and has taken on the color or appearance of an enemy.
It is assigned where careless or malicious and knowing damage is caused to projects, activities or the group. It is determined to be malicious and knowing because orders clearly existed against it and it is against the intentions and actions of the rest of the team and the very purpose of the activity.
It is a liability to have such a person unwatched as the person may do or continue to do things to stop or impede the forward progress of the project or group and such a person cannot be trusted. No discipline or the assignment of Conditions above it has helped. The person has just kept on messing things up.
The Condition is usually assigned when several Danger- and Non-Existence Conditions have been assigned or when a long unchanged pattern of conduct has been detected.
When all others are looking for the reason mail is getting lost, such a guy would keep on losing the mail covertly.
The Condition is assigned for the benefit of others so they know not to rely on this person in any way.
The formula of liability is:
1. Decide who are oneís friends.
2. Deliver an effective blow to the enemies of the group one has been pretending to be part of despite personal danger.
3. Make up the damage one has done by personal contribution far beyond the ordinary demands of a group member.
4. Apply for re-entry to the group by asking the permission of each member of it to rejoin and rejoining only by majority permission, and if refused, repeating (2) and (3) and (4) until one is allowed to be a group member again.
Note: "The enemies of the group": This should be taken in a broad sense. You don't have to assault anybody. 'The enemies' can be anything from own considerations and overts and withholds to being more interested in other groups, things and distractions than doing one's job. If you really pinpoint the factor that makes you a non-team member and handle it it is an effective blow.
Doubt: To be uncertain or skeptical about. To be undecided. From Latin, 'dubitare', to waver or vibrate.
CONDITION OF DOUBT
Doubt is basically an inability to find out; and an inability to make up one's mind about something.
There can be a
number of reasons for doubt. If one doesn't have reliable data or enough data one
can't make a sound judgment. Often the problem is made worse by conflicting data
that don't make sense. One has to become aware of what data one is using and
operating on in an area first of all. If one is incapable of making a decision
the first thing to do is to clean house and sort out the confusions and uncertainties
on the two sides of the problem. Are there lack of hard evidence and only
hearsay? Are there misunderstoods? Are there people you need to talk to to
really know their position? Things like this should be sorted out without even
considering the main problem or doubt itself, when called for. You use the
principle of gradient scales and establish one little certainty, one little
piece of order in the chaos. When one side is
cleaned up you have something you can work with. Now do the other side of the
doubt or problem in the same way. All this comes under the heading of 'based on
sound data and setting aside all prejudice and rumor' in the Formula below.
When your data are in good order it is easy to confront the main problem or doubt itself:
When one cannot make up oneís mind as to an individual, a group, organization or project a Condition of Doubt exists. Doubt is basically the inability to find out, what course to take to be in the clear and move forward in life or put ones weight behind one project, group and so on.
The Formula for Doubt is:
1. Inform oneself honestly of the actual intentions and activities of that other group, project or organization, based on sound data and setting aside all prejudice and rumor.
Comment: to evaluate a group you first have to establish what their goals and ideals are.
"That other group". The group one is not a member of and considering. The obvious situation is when there are two groups of people. One is member of one party and is considering voting for another. Each group is clearly defined. 'That other group' can however also be used in a more abstract manner as 'the group of non-producers', 'the group of couch potatoes', 'the group of highly paid people' and such. Here it means a class of people rather than a group you can become an official member of.
2. Examine the statistics, performance and state of affairs of the individual, group, project or organization.
Comment: You want to find out how effective and sane that group, etc. is and how well it is succeeding - or how badly it is failing for that matter.
3. Decide on the basis of "the greatest good for the greatest number of Dynamics" whether or not it should be attacked, harmed or suppressed or helped.
Comment: You make up your mind about 'that other group' without considering changing sides at this point. It is not a Yes and No choice yet. You simply grade that other group, etc. in terms of survival, ethics level and degree of success against your general standards, ideals and goals.
4. Evaluate oneself or oneís own group, project or organization as to intentions and objectives.
Comment: You evaluate your own group, etc. to establish or clarify what the goals and ideals are. Take a close look. Satisfy yourself that they are actually doing what they say they do.
5. Evaluate the statistics, performance and state of affairs for one personally or for one's own group, etc.
Comment: You want to find out how effective and sane you or your group, etc. is and how well it is succeeding - or how badly it is failing for that matter.
6. Join or remain in or befriend the one which progresses toward the greatest good for the greatest number of Dynamics and announce the fact publicly to both sides.
Comment: This may be the million dollar question. To consider the greatest good for the greatest number of Dynamics you have to realize we are talking about your Dynamics. Your health, your career, your family and friends and your future as well as that of your group. Try to project into a distant future how you and your Dynamics will fare.
7. Do everything possible to improve the actions, performance and statistics of the person, group, project or organization one has remained in or joined.
Comment: With this tough decission behind you it is time to get busy, get things done, make money, allow people to get a renewed confidence in you and get on with it.
8. Suffer on up through the Conditions in the new group if one has changed sides, or the Conditions of the group one has remained in if ones doubt in it has lowered oneís status.
Comment: You are on your way, but you have to go through the Conditions up to Normal before you are really done.
Enemy: 1. One who expresses hostility and opposition to another. 2. A foe; opponent. 3. Something causing destruction or injury. From Latin, in+amicus = 'not friend'.
CONDITION OF ENEMY
When a person is an openly declared and knowing enemy of an individual, a group, project or organization, a Condition of Enemy exists.
The formula for the Condition of Enemy is just one step:
1. Find out who you really are.
Comment: This is basically to tell the person he is not who he needs to be in order to be trusted in any position. See Out of Valence and Nature of Man in glossary for better understanding.
From this you will understand that one can also be one's own worst enemy.
The dictionary defines Treason as:
1. Betraying one's own country by helping or working for an enemy in fighting
one's own country. 2. Any betrayal of trust or confidence.
It comes from Latin, traditio, handing over. (The word 'Tradition' means you hand over skills and customs to future generations. In Treason you hand over those who trusted you, or your own pride and beliefs, to the enemy).
CONDITION OF TREASON
When we take a close look at the Condition of Enemy and Treason it is clear that the nature of Man is the background needed to understand them and apply these Conditions correctly. A traitor of his country is obviously in Treason. But when we talk about the Condition of Treason we simply mean the person is out of character in a destructive or harmful way. He is not his own good self or what all around him relied on for him to be. The remedy is to get him back to be his own good self - or responsibly be what he was entrusted to be. It may take some work, of course, but basically it is that simple.
The formula for the Condition of Treason is:
1. Find out That you are.
As a group member this becomes "Find out that you are__ (hat or function)". A person who is supposed to take care of a certain job and is not doing it, and is nowhere to be found, is creating a big uncovered hole in the group. It is a Condition of Treason in relationship to the group and the person better apply this Formula and go on up from there step by step.
Confusion is defined as: 1. Any set of factors or circumstances which do not seem to have any immediate solution. More broadly, a confusion in this universe is random motion. 2. Plus randomity, meaning motion unexpected above the tolerance level of the person viewing it. 3. A number of forces traveling in a number of different directions. 4. A confusion consists of change of particles in space and time in an unpredictable or unpredicted manner. From Latin, com+fundere= to pour together, mix up.
CONDITION OF CONFUSION
A person in a Condition of Confusion sees everything around him as being in motion. He can't control anything or get any production done as that takes control and the ability to create a flow of forces in one clear direction. This Condition is more common than you think. You will find people who are continuously confused, unable to get anything done while appearing busy, busy all over the place. To handle any confusion it is simply necessary to pick one stable datum. Once one stable datum is picked it is possible to align all other particles or data and get the confusion sorted out.
The formula of the Condition of Confusion is:
1. Find out where you are.
It will be seen that the progress upward would be: in Confusion, find out where you are, in Treason, find out that you are; and for Enemy, find out who you really are.
There is an additional formula for the Condition of Confusion. This Locational process would be used first, when possible, in order to get the person oriented and ready for the above step:
1. Locational on the area in which one is.
This is done by a coach or auditor. It is a simple auditing process: "Locate the __(room object) .ď The auditor points and has the person locate the floor, the ceiling, the walls, the furniture, other objects and bodies, etc. It is run until the person feels he is in present time and cheerful about it.
2. Comparing where one is to other areas where one was.
The auditor or coach asks, "Where were you?" The person can answer anything coming to mind and the coach simply acknowledges.
Then asks: "Where are you now?"
This process is also run until the person feels he is in present time and cheerful about it. He may voice some realization and if he looks bright and happy that is it.
3. Repeat Step 1.
It is a good idea to look up and make demo's of 'Confusion' and 'Stable Datum' for a better understanding of the Condition.
One Job Many Conditions
You will find, when you have become familiar with the Conditions and their use, that the steps of one Condition Formula suddenly seem to make sense as a course of action for a situation. You may be in Affluence in your job but suddenly an Emergency arises. You better apply the Danger or Emergency Condition right then and there to that situation. What this "one job, many Conditions" amounts to is that the Table of Conditions, from Non-Existence to Power Change, describes one overall cycle of action. A job or career would consist of one overall cycle. A company would have a longer cycle and a nation or culture, again, a much loner one. The ideal career would start in Non-Existence and go up through the Conditions, one after the other with no setbacks. At some point you would reach Power Change. You would write up your hat, all the experience and advice you want to pass on to your successor, and move on to a higher position in the same company or elsewhere in the same profession - or you may be ready to retire.
Obviously that is not how life works. Your marriage may be in Affluence while you better apply the Condition of Danger to your troublesome teenage kids. Then your spouse brings home a purchase that is going to bankrupt you and something has to be done fast. In other words, there are new situations and conditions you have to face dozens of times in an ordinary, busy day. Your long-range relationship with your in-laws may be down the drain and it is a long-range lower Condition of some kind.
The overall assignment of a Condition is actually tied up with what goals exist for the activity, including what goals you have set for yourself. If your goal is to become a millionaire and you are stuck with a bank account and assets that don't seem to ever get over $100,000 it may seem like a lot of money to most but in relation to your goal of becoming a millionaire it is a Condition of Emergency.
You may see a company that is in Affluence according to their sales and assets but in a real low Condition when it comes to export markets. They tried to export and failed with a huge loss. At this point Treason may be what they need to apply intelligently to that activity.
The Conditions Formulas are by R. Hubbard described as natural laws applying to all life and activity in the physical universe. That's why it makes sense to apply them as management tools as well as Ethics tools. Management is however a whole subject of its own and as subjects Ethics and management are too widely different to cover together. Let it be enough to say here, one overall goal calls for one set of Conditions, one at the time. In going ahead on your journey towards a lofty goal you may encounter dragons, trolls, flooding and flat tires - mixed up with sudden opportunity, good fairies and perfect road conditions. Each situation is a new challenge to meet with its own set of Conditions. It all comes together in a complicated pattern of events, cycles within cycles, but will eventually add up to the overall goal, your safe arrival at the other end, at the destination.